Monday, March 15, 2010

Still here...update

We are still here in the hospital. Kate's jaundice is better, but she had some slightly abnormal blood work, so they admitted her to the NICU. They did some more tests and an ultrasound today to see if she might have a problem with her liver. They have said that it could be absolutely nothing, but they just want to be sure that everything is working as it should. They are letting me stay in my labor and delivery room on a different floor, but Nate and I can spend as much time in the NICU as we want.

I know this is not the end of the world, and I think she is going to be just fine, but it has still been such an emotional rollercoaster. Its been really hard on me, and the lack of sleep only makes me more emotional. Right now, I'm watching a couple stare at their extremely premature baby boy in an incubator. I heard the nurse tell them that they can touch him, but they need to wear gloves. I'm realizing that I have so much to be thankful for. I have been bawling all day, while this couple is going through something so much harder. I'm sure Kate is going to be fine when this is all over.

I will keep you updated on what we find out.

UPDATE:

The doctor thinks Kate might have an infection, but he is not sure what kind. He is still waiting for some more results. She will have to stay here in the NICU for at least 2-3 days to take IV antibiotics. This is going to be rough. I am an emotional wreck. We would really appreciate your prayers for Kate. Thank you!

13 comments:

Elise said...

Praying.

And love to you.

Matti said...

Your family will definately be in our prayers. We can't wait till she is home with you guys!

Melissa Kilner said...

Ashley!!!!! My heart goes out to you!! I just finished that emotional rollarcoaster 4 weeks ago. I know how horrible those first couple days are. I know it sounds hard but try and get some sleep, that's the ONLY way I was able to deal with myself. The nurse had to give me some ambien, and then after that I was much better at taking in the whole situation. I am praying for you and your family. If you need anything or anyone to talk to, I'm here!!

Kristi said...

we will pray for little kate and your family.

Leslierush said...

Definitely in my prayers...all of you!

Stephanie said...

I'm praying for her Ash. I wish we could be there with you or something. I love her already. :)

Meg said...

Oh gosh Ashley, I'm sorry! I bet you are exhausted! We will be praying for little Kate. I like the suggestion to get some Ambien... life is more managable when you've had some sleep! Hang in there!

Christina said...

She is adorable! Congratulations and we will keep your family in our prayers.

The Potter Pack said...

We love you guys and will definitely say a prayer for your family ... it will all work out ... I know how hard it is just having the baby and being so sleep deprived ... much less have all this happen ... but it is awesome you recognize your blessings. Keep us posted.

Steph said...

Congratulations on your sweet little arrival! We'll be praying that she is healthy. Are you at SHMC or Valley? Ryan's mom can always go check in with you guys if you're at Sacred Heart...she works in PICU, but floats to NICU.

Shannon said...

Oh Ashley, I'm so sorry. I know how hard that can be. You and your sweet Kate are in our prayers.

Mrs. Schmalison said...

Oh for your heart! She will be ok, the same thing happened with Elena. I had to leave the hospital without her. It was so hard. I went home and had two nights of rest without a newborn baby waking up every two hours and that helped a little. We went back to the hospital every day so I could try and breast feed her. She even hated formula so she threw it up and had to get another IV. She was however the biggest baby in the NICU and the nurses loved holding her because she was the most healthy. Use this time to get rest and relax, the nurses and doctors know what they are doing and you need your rest for the days and nights ahead. I will be praying for you and baby Kate. "With celestial sight, trials impossible to change become possible to endure." Russel M. Nelson

Holly said...

We're all praying for you guys. I second the sleeping comments. Try to rest even though I wouldn't be sleeping either, but I know that would help, even just a little bit.