Friday, August 12, 2011

Poor Katers

This was around the time the Tylenol kicked in.


Poor little Kate. She freaks out whenever we have to go to any doctor appointments because she has had her blood drawn so many times for Alpha-1. I hate seeing her like that.








So yesterday evening Kate was sitting on an office chair with Paige and she fell off. I wasn't home and Nate didn't see what happened, but after she stopped crying, she still just wasn't herself. She was somewhat lethargic and would not walk or stand at all. She would try to stand up and then she would start to whimper and just sit right down. I knew something was definitely wrong with her right leg. She would only stand on her left.


So we took her to the ER and they did an x-ray, but it did not show a visible break or fracture. But when the doctor pressed on Kate's shin area she would start to cry really hard. He said that sometimes fractures can't be seen clearly even with an x-ray, so he decided to treat it like one and referred us to an orthopedist. He put her leg in a splint and sent us home. After some Tylenol Kate was acting much better and happier. She slept pretty well last night too.

We met with the orthopedist today and he could see a pretty minor fracture on her tibia on the x-ray. It was in the same area that she started to cry when he examined it. He decided to just keep her in the splint for a couple weeks, but he also said that kids heal super fast and she may be ready to start walking sooner.

She has been surprisingly OK with the fact that she can't move around. She just sits on my lap or I hold her ALL DAY LONG. But I'm not complaining because it could have been much worse. Plus, it's kind of nice to have her so calm and snuggly. She's usually a super active little girl. We can't believe that just falling off a chair onto carpet could cause an injury like this. It's so sad to see her try to walk. Every few hours she tries to stand up and then realizes she can't and sits back down. Poor girl.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh Ashley! This is so sad! I hope she heals soon. :(

jessica said...

What is it with Rocky Hill and kids breaking their bones!? I hope she heals quickly so that she can start trying out nursery ;)

Stephanie said...

You look almost just as stressed as she did! Nah, I'm sure she'll heal up quick, but I can imagine it would be hard to see your baby in pain like that and everything.